One dies in Saturday homicide

Lewistown suspect dead after shootout in Dillon
Thursday, March 19, 2020
Article Image Alt Text

Fifty-two year old David Sessions was the victim of Saturday’s homicide. Photo courtesy LPD

Article Image Alt Text

Forty-seven year old Douglas Foster led law enforcement officers on a two-day manhunt before he was discovered in Dillon. Photo courtesy LPD

Article Image Alt Text

Doug Foster’s 1995 Toyota Tacoma is seen after a shootout with Beaverhead County law enforcement Sunday night in Dillon. Photo courtesy of JP Plutt, Yellowstone Newspapers

On Saturday, March 14, at 5:35 a.m., a 911 call came in to Central Montana Dispatch requesting medical assistance for a gunshot wound at 108 Crystal Drive.

When Lewistown Police Officers arrived at the scene, they found the body of 52-year-old David Byron Sessions.

According to a news release from the LPD, foul play was suspected.

The home belonged to Douglas John Foster, 47, a longtime Lewistown resident who was known to many as an outdoorsman who spent much of his time in the Missouri Breaks. Foster was nowhere to be found, nor was his 1995 green Toyota Tacoma, but a witness saw him leaving the area around the time they called in the gunshots.

LPD secured the scene at 7:03 a.m. and issued a statement considering Foster a “person of interest.” A warrant for deliberate homicide was issued. LPD then contacted CMR, FWP and Petroleum County law enforcement to search the Missouri Breaks region. U.S. Marshals in Great Falls were contacted.

It turned out Foster didn’t head to the Breaks; he headed southwest.

“It was believed he used a gas station employee’s phone in Burley, Idaho,” Lewistown Police Chief Justin Jenness said during a press conference Monday afternoon. “We were tipped off with this information and were able to attain a video from the gas station that identified Foster and his vehicle.”

For reasons unbeknownst to Jenness, Foster headed back to Montana, where Beaverhead County law enforcement officers discovered him in Dillon. An officer involved shooting ensued just off Southside Boulevard, next to the Dairy Queen.

Foster was pronounced dead at the scene.

As of press time it was unclear what escalated the shootout or whether Foster took his own life.

“[Foster] will be taken to Missoula for autopsy and the medical examiner will make the determination as to cause of death,” said Beaverhead County Sheriff Paul Craft.

Although Foster is deceased, Jenness said the investigation continues. There is currently no motive as to why Foster would want to kill Sessions.

According to Jenness, this is the first homicide inside the Lewistown city limits since Gisela Morris was killed on Dec. 16, 2002.